OHA Drinking Water Services
Contact Report Details
|PWS ID:||OR41 91551|
|PWS Name:||CALLAHANS MOUNTAIN LODGE|
|Who Was Contacted:||Mark Cleaner|
|Contacted By:||CIVIL WEST ENGINEERS, INC (DWP)|
|Assistance Type:||CIRCUIT RIDER ASSISTANCE|
Callahan’s Restaurant is a ground water system with 9 springs (1 is offline) feeding into a collection system with a storage tank and chlorinator. Currently, the spring boxes are not completely sealed off to surface water intrusion. The owner received a compliance letter (attached) from OHA reclassifying the system as a groundwater under the direct influence of surface water (GWUDI) requiring a new operation plan.
Discussed the letter with the owner (Mark Cleaner), OHA Regional Engineer (Zach Golik), potential contractor (541 Water, David Funderburk), potential engineer (Adkins Engineering, Dan Scalas).
The letter outlined a need for an interim plan to be installed as soon as possible.
1. A turbidity meter must be installed on water entering the distribution system to maintain that water is never above 5 NTU. Turbidity measurements must be taken a minimum of once per day. If continuous turbidimeters are in place, measurements should be taken every four hours.
• Obtain and install a “benchtop” EPA grade turbidimeter from Hach, such as the TL2300, or possibly 2100Q. David Funderburk is contacting Hach representatives and will have a recommendation on an appropriate turbidimeter by Monday, 10/20/2022.
• It is also recommended that the system remove the connection to the hiking shack at the PCT to move the first user and sample location to the Hotel/Lodge. This will provide a much more convenient location for sampling.
2. Disinfection must be sufficient to reliably achieve at least 1.0 log inactivation of Giardia lamblia cysts prior to the first user. Disinfection "CT" values must be calculated and recorded daily, which requires pH, temperature, and disinfection residual measurements at the entry point or first customer.
• It is expected that as the system is currently meeting 4.0 log requirements with their chlorine disinfection system. Unable to place entire contact report.