OHA Drinking Water Services
Contact Report Details
|PWS ID:||OR41 00577|
|PWS Name:||NORTH POWDER, CITY OF|
|Who Was Contacted:||City Administrator|
|Contacted By:||ZASTROW, RYAN (UNION COUNTY)|
|Assistance Type:||WATER QUALITY COMPLAINT|
|Details:||Regulator received a resident complaint about the water quality within the city limits of North Power Oregon. The complainant complained of:
• Rust colored water when filling his soft sided spa
• The city not returning his complaint calls
• Excess minerals in the water*
• Complainant further added additional items to how the city’s water is affecting the health and well-being of his household
Regulator visited city hall in person to address the complaint and the city administrator addressed that:
• She does not know why the resident’s water was rust colored
• She has received a complaint from the complainant but it was in-person, not via a telephone message. She believes he may have called a different telephone number.
• She was not aware of receiving any other resident complaints
• She stated that the water main or hydrant flushing has not occurring at time of complaint. Flushing is scheduled during the month of May
• She stated that complaints are documented but follow-up reporting is unclear.
• She does not know if the phosphate is at the recommended level of 1.0-2.0 mg/L or if the phosphate levels are measured weekly
Regulator did not observe evidence that the city is knowingly violating the rules written in OAR 333-061. Items the city does need to work on:
• I strongly recommend the city collect a "special" TCR sample at the complainant’s house, and measure chlorine and phosphate at the same time when the TCR sample is taken
• I strongly recommend the city contact neighboring property owners to verify if they have had any similar problems.
• Make sure the phosphate levels are measured weekly and keep a log of the results
• Follow the Coliform Sampling Plan and rotate sampling locations
• Ask of anyone was flushing a water main or filling a water truck for nearby construction projects
• Make sure to document how the complaints are follow-up on.
*The city's water has been identified to contain elevated amounts of manganese